Two updates on the Macklin project:
1) The owner has filed with the Board of Zoning Adjustment for parking relief. The case is 20266, and will be heard by the BZA on Wednesday April 29th.
The BZA application can be found here: Macklin BZA Filing. The number of parking spots required is 17: six as a result of the new construction (5 residential and 1 retail), and eleven for the existing buildings (3 residential and 8 retail).
The request is a special exception to waive the parking requirement in its entirety. The rationale outlined in the application include:
- the proximity to transit and shops which allows people to live car free
- the benefit of the public plaza instead of the parking lot
- the lack of feasibility of adding parking west of the Macklin due to the slope and bedrock
- the new residences will not have RPP
CPSG will survey its members on this issue in the next few weeks as it considers filing comments with the BZA. We encourage members to share opinions and questions on the Google Groups listserv. If you do not have access to the listserv yet, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request it.
As you learn more about the case and wish to email the BZA with your input, here are the instructions. All comments submitted in the body of an e-mail must:
- Contain the name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address of the person filing it;
- Describe the nature of the documents (for example, “Comments in Support,” “Comments in Opposition,” or “General Comments”);
- Include the BZA case number (20266) and case name (3400 Connecticut Partners LLC) in the subject line of the e-mail; and
- Send to: email@example.com
2) The project’s architectural designs have been revised since the HPRB gave guidance on Jan 31. You can see the new designs here. The case will be reheard before the HPRB at their March meeting (either 3/26 or 4/2). Comments to the HPRB can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, provide your name, address and reference the case HPA 20-043.